Friday, September 14, 2012

Chili, Herbivore or Carnivore, Gluten-Free



    This is an easy, tasty chili base that can be made into any kind of dinner soup really. Wether you are vegan or you choose to put meat into it, it is still low calorie, low carb and high in protein, not mention cheap.
     So I made mine about four days ago, intending to do a blog on it and freeze some for Ryan... I pretty much just ate it. It gets better everyday and not having to clean my kitchen has been nice. I recommend eating this chili with cornbread, tortilla chips, cheese and sour cream, depending on the mood that you are in.



       Okay so it couldn't be easier, seriously, the hardest part will be opening the cans. I am going to give you a couple versions, all easy, all delicious.

      Ingredients.


  • 4 cans of beans. I used black, garbanzo, kidney and chili pinto beans. 
  • 2 cans of sweet yellow corn, or white, I don't care but if you do, you can choose. 
  • 1 to 2 cans of diced tomatoes. I used the kind with oregano and basil. 
  • 1 can of pumpkin puree, for thickening and because I just like pumpkin
  • 1 green bell pepper
  • 1 small onion
  • 1/2 TBSP of oregano 
  • 1/2 TBSP chili powder, reduce depending on how spicy you like it
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  •  1 tsp cumin powder 
  • salt and pepper 
  • optional, 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey, or beef 


          Start by browning your meat on medium-high heat in a heavy bottom 5qt french oven, if you are not using meat, then you are a vegan. Next step, (first step if you are Vegan. I made sure to point this out because some people aren't sure if they are a Vegan or not...) Okay, next step is sautéing chopped bell pepper and onion on medium-high heat until the onion is translucent. Then you add the cans of beans, liquid included, the tomatoes, pumpkin and corn. DO NOT drain anything, this will make the broth of your chili. Add all of the seasonings, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. The longer you simmer, the better the flavor.

        Okay so you can do a couple things with this base, so you can make it into taco soup by pouring it over the top of tortilla chips and drowning it with sour cream and cheese. Pour it on top of fritos, or a baked potato. You can crumble up sweet cornbread in it, my personal favorite or just eat it on its own. Really its up to you.



       I hope you enjoy this simple, healthy, and cheap meal, I know I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment